Monday, April 23, 2012

Abrupt Increase



Let's talk about Abrupt Increases - AbInc. I'm not sure if this is the correct term for this technique or if anyone on earth uses it, other than myself, but it really makes my life easier and I think it's worth sharing.


Most of the time in crochet increases and decreases are done gradually. You add a stitch periodically to increase and connect 2 stitches, essentially losing one stitch periodically in order to decrease, but there are those times when you need to increase or decrease dramatically and instantly. There are cases where gradual just doesn't cut it. This technique is for those moments.



 I'm using HDC's on this piece. Notice in the picture above. YO, go into the last stitch of the previous row, pull up a loop. 3 loops on hook. Now notice in the picture below....


YO and pull through 1. (This creates the appearance that you had a chain there to begin with...DON'T FREAK OUT IF YOU DON'T SEE IT IMMEDIATELY...it takes a few stitches for it to be obvious) Then pull through all three to complete your HDC. YO, go into the chain that you just created, pull up a lp, pull through 1, pull through 3 to complete your HDC. (this can be done with SC, or DC or any stitch variation that doesn't require skipping stitches...and some that do.) See the completed stitch in the photo below.


Continue adding stitches until you've increased as much as is needed for your pattern. Then continue as if it were just a normal row. Ch and turn and continue.
Sample of several AbInc in a row. 






Decreasing is easy, you just slip stitch back down your row until you are at the place where you want to begin stitching again. Then chain the height of the stitch of your choice (HDC in this case) and carry on.
Example of AbInc row and AbDec row.


This technique is great for making button holes without having to chain or leave extra large gaps. It's great for making sleeve openings for cardigans, sweaters and vests. The possibilities are endless! If you try it out let me know! As always, if you have problem, message me, I'm here to help! 


Here's a link to a fun project using the AbInc! Let me know what you think!

Happy Hooking!
Mama Nettie





12 comments:

  1. Very smart. Essentially its just foundation hdc (or sc or dc).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! This is foundation hdc and I would never have thought of using it for an abrupt increase. You are very smart to have thought of this. Thank you for a truly good hint.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah! Foundation Stitches! Thank you Ladies for the proper term!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Made a different comment..Love your
      technique!

      Delete
  5. Thank you for this information!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi - I was looking for some "new" crochet patterns and stumbled upon your blog. You seem to have some creative ideas and I loved looking at your variations on stitches. I note you must be busy, busy, busy as you don't have many blogs under your belt. But, the ones are there are instructive and interesting. I did a blog for 5 years about living on an island in the Caribbean (where I still live) and have said about everything there is to say about living here. I wanted to start a crochet blog as it is my passion but other than taking designs from other sites and making an object (occasionally making changes) I don't think my blog would be as interesting or as educational as yours. Keep up the blogging and I'll have to check you from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Sharon!

    I LOVE hearing about others who have a love for crochet! It's my calm amidst the storm for sure. I have 3 children who are 4, 3, and 2 so there's a lot of crazy around here. I think that you'd be really successful with a crochet blog! First of all, I'm proof that ANYONE with a passion for crochet can make it happen, and second, even if you don't write a lot of your own patterns, I know I'd link to you if you tried my patterns. Having pictures and write ups of my patterns done by another crochet artist is always beneficial.

    Anyway, thank you for your comments. Hope to hear from you again :)
    Nettie

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great use for fhdc which is one of my favourite stitches.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very clear explanation. Thank you. Photos are good too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This technique is often used in shaped filet work. Very good to know how to do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nettie! You get a Liebster award. Check out my blog for details at: http://engineeredcrochet.blogspot.com/2012/05/craziness-and-awards.html

    ReplyDelete